A scan refers to the security analysis of an application with RIPS.
A rescan refers to a new scan of a previously analyzed application. Each rescan has a parent scan.
- The parent scan is a previous scan of the application that the new analysis results will be compared to.
- A rescan can only be performed on a similar code base compared to the parent scan.
For example if you would like to scan WordPress for the first time:
- You scan version 4.1 with a new scan. A new application will be created.
- You then scan version 4.2 with a rescan. Your results will be compared to your parent scan of version 4.1.
- If you would like to scan Joomla! you cannot use a rescan of your WordPress application but will need to create a new application.